next arrow
Slider

Notifications
Clear all

The aesthetics of depoliticized exhibitions  

Patricio del Real
 Patricio del Real
04/09/2020 2:53 pm  

Dear Francesca, thank you for your presentation; I very much appreciated your observations on the ways modernist aesthetics are used to depoliticize the space of the museum. The case studies you presented are fascinating, and your concluding point on the construction of belonging and exclusion is right on point. There is much to be said on the overlaps and coincidences between abstract aesthetics and 'functionalist' exhibition designs at MoMA and how these are deployed by each department. It would be interesting to juxtapose 'Painting and Sculpture' and 'Architecture and Design' exhibitions, taking into account inherent differences and particularities of each department. Much here to discuss! 

Thank you for your comments on my presentation.

Patricio del Real

Lisa Newby
 Lisa Newby
09/09/2020 12:04 pm  

Hi Francesca, really enjoyed listening to your presentation and seeing these examples brought together to show how this mode of display is far from neutral - so useful for drawing attention to who benefits from decisions to opt for this type of exhibition design - especially, as you highlight, regarding feelings of inclusion/exclusion and ownership.  I was especially interested in you references to the potential of more transparency about this in museums. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Francesca Liuni
 Francesca Liuni
09/09/2020 11:12 pm  

@lisanewby Hi Lisa, thank you for your comments. I just listened to your presentation and really enjoyed your perspective of curator and art historian on the issue of Modernism in museums connected with the rethorics of Modern Art in displaying non-Western art. It's interesting how some of the examples we both discussed are very well known exhibits which, as you said, generate mix responses over the years. However, the issues they created seem very contemporary and useful to revisit since we still see some of these practices in action, if not in the curatorial in the forms of the exhibition design (which inevitably inform the curatorial), as you very well highlighted in your presentation. Thank you for your wonderful lecture! I wished we could have had the occasion to discuss in person.

ReplyQuote